Thursday, June 25, 2009

God's Gold

The mood on the bus turned slightly somber yesterday afternoon as we pulled up in front of the church where we would be ministering. The members of our Wright State XA/Belding family team started sorting through their things, storing cameras and other flashy items that weren't wise to carry in this area. We had spent the morning in one of our LACC schools, where the people struggle to feed their families, but somehow manage to get along and eek out existence. There, it is more desperate. On the very edges of Lima, there are mountains of dirt where nothing grows. It is almost like a prophecy over the people who live there. Life is lived on the edge. Food for tomorrow is a maybe.

We were quite the show. About 2o gringos walking the streets, inviting people to the service in the evening. Broken Spanish and awkward attempts at communication could not hide the earnestness with which our team extended their invitations. They so wanted to share their faith. I am always touched when our teams come, and the desire to reach into the lives of the people and give them Jesus is just so intense. That communicates.

As the starting time approached, people began to filter in. A few kids who were hungry asked for food, and the pastor gave them some little sandwiches. We started, and the kids WENT NUTS over Patty's "illusions." They loved it. As the testimories came, there were thoughtful expressions on the faces of the adults present. You could see them thinking. If God can rescue her from the pain of a broken family, maybe He can do the same for me. Maybe I don't have to be so angry all of the time, either. Rescued from drugs. Wow. Maybe He could do that for me.

Different stories, but just people. I think they were surprised how much our stories are just like theirs. One of the members of the team felt impressed to share what was on her heart-- that it was from the Lord. She said that she felt that God wanted them to know that they were treasures. That they mattered to the Lord, and that there were people there that really wanted gold, but that they were the gold to God.

Different lives, but just as loved by God. What a privelege to come to share this Good News with them.

3 comments:

Ruth Chowdhury said...

Such a blessing to read a post like this. Thank you for sharing and I'll keep praying for lives in Peru!

Jason said...

Wow, what great stories! I've been praying for you all, praying that doors would be open and that the people would receive. You have a great ministry Bill, it's good of you to be there; hope to come visit you some day.

Tell my wife (Sarah) I said Hi and that I love her, I pray for her daily.

Be blessed the rest of this week,

Jason Thompson

Jason said...

Wow, what great stories! I've been praying for you all, praying that doors would be open and that the people would receive. You have a great ministry Bill, it's good of you to be there; hope to come visit you some day.

Tell my wife (Sarah) I said Hi and that I love her, I pray for her daily.

Be blessed the rest of this week,

Jason Thompson