Sunday, June 07, 2009

Camping with Colton's Class

I was out of town for four days this past week. I served as a chaperon and worship team member on a field trip for Colton's school. It was an educational camping trip for the 4th, 5th and 6th graders, located at a christian beach camp about 2 hours south of Lima. I volunteered to go with the class because we don't have a Royal Rangers program in Peru. As such, I miss the camping oportunites I used to have with Colton in the states. The trip was fun and gave me a chance to see the kids in Colton's school interacting with one another. I also got to see how the teachers interact with the kids. It opened my eyes to the value of a Christian school. The first night, around the camp fire, I helped to lead worship and preached a message on valuing the gifts that God has put in others (based on 1 Cor. 12:21 & the story of the Good Samaritan). Many of the kids were open during worship and enjoyed the experience. Many were closed and did their best to ward off the presence of God. I was impressed by the teachers, who took their roles seriously--teaching the kids spiritual principles as well as reading, writing and arithmetic.
(One of the competitions was to build the largest sandcastle. The picture at right is of one of the teams and their Aztec temple. The grey skies and dreary weather is a picture of what winter is like in Lima, Peru.)

No comments: