Saturday, February 07, 2009

I Need a Hero

While we were in the States, we were blessed to get the chance to see the movie, Bolt, about a dog actor who doesn't realize he isn't truly a superhero, and what happens when he faces the real world. We all really enjoyed it, and I expected the happiest camper to be my 6 year-old son, Will, who loves everything superhero. That is why I was completely taken by surprise when my superboy began to weep on his way out of the theater. We, of course, came to the rescue and asked him what could possibly be disturbing him—maybe an action scene or the big fire-- but instead, he poured out his little soul, and between sobs told us how horrible it was that Bolt wasn't a real hero. Even when he barks to save his beloved owner in the end, that “It was just a normal bark!”

Such bitter disappointment from such a little soul. He wanted to see real superhero action. He wishes with all his heart that he had a superhero, and I wish with all my heart that I was more like one in real life. I think a true-to-life hero is really someone with a lot of courage. I have been thinking a lot about courage lately—and even my lack of it. I want to have superhero faith to believe that no matter what the circumstances, God will get me through it, and I don't want my resolve to be moved by circumstances or the opinions of others. I want to be steady in resolve, risk for the kingdom, not weaken in the face of bad news.

The book of Revelation has something to say about courage (or the lack thereof): He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers,....----their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfer.” (Rev. 21:7-8, NIV). The very first in the list is the “cowardly.” Our american culture doesn't talk much about bravery unless we are talking about our veterans, but it is time that we were all thinking about this. Times are becoming more trying on the face of the earth, and especially in the US, and we need to ask ourselves if we have the courage to serve the Lord, even to the point of suffering. Now are little tests. We tighten our belts, cut out cable, work on having a meatless meal once a week-- these things are just little tests that make us strong so that when a true test comes, we can do what is necessary. We really don't know what might be ahead, but courage might very well be a necessity to those who choose to continue to follow Jesus. We may not be superheroes, but courage is at least a start.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you read Just Courage by Gary Haugen? He addresses this issue, not only in his book, but with his life. Very challenging.