Friday, April 20, 2007

Temptation & Trust


My brother just bought a new motorcycle and my mom is considering buying a new motor home. I looked at pictures of the motor home my mom wants to buy. The web site had some really lovely campers. I began to wish I had one too. Then I thought of my brother's new motorcycle and my heart started going there too. The desire for the camper and the motor cycle started to rob me of joy.


Every morning, I have devotions with the kids. Currently, we’re reading through the Gospel of Luke, which focuses heavily on God's heart towards the poor. I read that we are to store our treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. That’s a great saying, because it implies that one way to steer your heart, is through your treasure. Another similar passage, that’s in the same area, has to do with what you feed your eyes. The camper web site filled me with a mild form of camper lust. Immediately, I was a little less happy. I must again pray and fantasize about the things of the kingdom, see them in my mind’s eye and long for that fruit. If I do, I’ll have all the campers or scooters that I’ll ever need—which very well may be none.

Here's the words to my favorite hymn:
I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold
I’d rather have his love than have riches untold
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands
I’d rather be held by his nail pierced hands
Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin’s dread ways
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords (offers) today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bill,

This is great stuff. It really ministered to me - the part about fantasizing about the Kingdom. Really.

Normally I think of people's blogs with a yawn (there is a reason they sound like "blah") but I am going to put a desktop link to yours for two reasons, one so I remember to pray for you but two because you minister to me.

Thanks for your friendship and service to Jesus (come quickly.)

Love you and the the Fam.
-H.

PS - the dead parrot song made me laugh. Not out loud but on the inside.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shrader Family,

Bill you came to our church awhile ago (Lighthouse Assembly in Toledo, Ohio) and I have kept the little photo card of you and your family in my office at work. As I look at your pictures, it's a constant reminder to pray for you and your family's needs.

This blog really touched my heart. We too struggle with finances and I think 'wow' all these people around me seem to prosper and they are such Godless, selfish people. Thanks for reminding me that my true treasures await me in heaven and all this around me will be gone and mean nothing. I need to focus on only those things that will bring eternal happiness.

God Bless to you and yours!

Toni Snyder