Friday, February 22, 2008

No Internet & the frustration of waiting

We've been without internet and cut off from all the world--except for Peru. It's been painful. Thankfully, Peruvians have gotten along well for a long time, by just talking to each other. For our part, we're surviving and even thriving. But—without internet. We waited a week to get internet, then had it for a few days before they cut us off. It appears that the guy who installed it, didn't file the paperwork. As such, after a few days, we looked like people who were stealing our connection--rather than the law abiding, internet addicted North Americans that we are. Getting the internet company back out to our house, to do another install, has been a frustrating experience.

Waiting for service is a big issue here. Let me share an example. We asked an electrician to re-wire our dryer. We said, "This is really important to us."

He said, "I understand, so I'll get right on it!"

We waited. Then we waited some more. We waited a few days. Nothing. So, I called and he said, "I'll be right there."

So, we waited some more. In all, we waited about 5 days. I called again and he said, "Oh yea, when I was supposed to be there, I had an emergency and couldn't come. After that, I decided to rest; but don't worry, I can be there some time next week."

I said, "Thanks, but I've got a someone else doing the job for me."

He said, "Oh that's great. Well, give me a call the next you need me and I'll be right over!"

I've saved his number, because he wasn't being rude or irresponsible, by Peruvian standards. There are people here who have a North American concept of time and service, but there are many more who don't. So, to live happily in Peru, I'm going to have to learn to wait. I am capable of waiting,... unless it's for an internet connection!

5 comments:

Deb said...

Sounds a lot like when I spent a summer in Spain after high school. At first it was really frustrating for me, and then I learned to deal with it. Now I have days where I really miss that pace of life.

The kids and I would like to know if you guys have eaten any Guinea Pig yet. We recently purchased one and then went online for advice on care. Low and Behold, we found out it is a delicacy in Peru.

Anonymous said...

Dear Brother in Christ,We been reading your blog and have a suggestion for you.Instead of getting fustrated, Why dont you leave your American mentality in America and try asimilating yourself to the Peruvian culture? By writing in your blog that you are always fustrated makes it sound like you hate it in Peru, which I dont think is the case. About the internet,Is it really that crucial to you? I live on the internet but can give it up if I have a mission to accomplish.In closing, Look at everything on the possitive side.WWJD. Please try to read Ministering cross culturally by Sherwood G. Lingenfelter. I recommend it!

Anonymous said...

I have been praying for you guys. I miss you loads, love you much and I've been hoping you'd drop a line on here so I'd know that life is in the establishing process in good ole Peru! You guys are my heroes!

my two hopeful wings said...

Glad you are connected again!

Bill and Lena Shrader said...

To Deb--Yes we've eaten Guinea Pig (Cuy). It was delicious. We ate it at a Valentine's Day dinner where Lena and I spoke. After we spoke, about 15 couples renewed their wedding vows. It was lovely. After the service, we were treated to a Meriachi (sp?) band and Cuy. The pastor asked if we liked it. When I said yes, she wrote down our birthdays and declared they would throw us a Cuy party.

To anonymous--You're absolutely right. We love Peru and we're ready to adopt the Peruvian mindset, but after only six weeks I still have some adjustments to make. In my defense, even the Peruvians loath the poor business practices of companies here. Ironically, the internet company is not Peruvian.

On "Ministering Cross Culturally" by Sherwood Lingenfelter -- it is one of my favorite books!